Free Your Mind, And Your Legs Will Follow

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

NG111? or Fattys100

The bus

People starting to arrive

The most interesting man in the world...

Getting ready for the toast

The toast of Spotted Cow...the last taste of New Glarus we would have that day

Rolling down Lincoln Hwy

The peleton

Ari and Brian...smooth cruisin

Need I say more?

Road Ranger partying

The troops

Party bus


My Boys

Sunday morning 6:40 a.m. I pull into the parking lot of NCC and see the bus has arrived and a few people are already there. To my surprise my good friend Ari decided to join us with his son from Germany. I eyed his Rapha jersey and he told me I would've stolen it off his back if I had the chance....maybe I would've. Tobie, Frank, Evan, Eric, Hellmut and the NCC crew showed up with smiles on their faces, followed by other close friends including the Nevdal bros, Brian Van, Gumby, Mr. Joel Stafstrom, some Blackhawk riders, and some other acquaintances (sorry if I spelled names wrong...or words for that matter). We toasted some spotted cow and got rolling. The skies were looking dark and grey but the tailwing at the time felt good and the first 25 miles were fast. Sprints were had and legs were kept spinning. Around mile 40...the rain started. We got soaked and saw lots of lightening in the skies....which was "a little off putting". We pushed on with Tobie's father behind us in the bus incase anything happened. Around mile 50 a state trooped stops our group and tells us that Tobie's dad is stopped and can't drive the bus cause he does not have the proper license. So, we waited for Gumby to catch up because he had the CDL license which is required to drive a truck (not a bus). So, unknowingly Gumby rides back with the pig to the bus and realizes that his license wont work either. Meanwhile, the rest of us are eating lunch and drying off at Jake Nevdal's home (thanks again buddy). We ate, dried off, and decided what the next move was. The piggy told us he didn't know what Wisconsin would do if they caught us without the right license but we were welcome to try it. Well the wind was out of our sails at this point and Gumby didn't want to lose his job (smart) we headed 30 miles back the way we came into a horrible headwind. The hills seemed harder and longer than before, the pace was pushed faster and faster as the miles started flying by, and before we knew it we hit 100 miles. So, we ended up at a road ranger parking lot in Rockford drinking high life and talking about the days activities. The night ended with a bus ride (buzzzzzed) to Fattys in DeKalb, where more eating and drinking occured. We said our goodbyes and will look forward to hopefully making it to NG next year. Great to see all my DeKalb friends and ride with some familiar faces, catch up on life, ride hard, drink beer, and have a great day. Thanks to everyone that helped out and had fun with us! - JB

No comments:

Post a Comment