Free Your Mind, And Your Legs Will Follow

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Commuting: A Lifestyle

Every new year means lots of commuting miles. I ride to work. Work. Ride home....nearly everyday. I try and take new ways to work, longer ways to work, shorter ways to work....something different just to mix up the daily grind. It is very peaceful at night all by yourself under the stars relaxing on the bike after a hard days work...seeing a beautiful sunset in the distance, reminding you while you still love the midwest. Or, being up early as the daily hustle and bustle is just starting and someone with a suit on drives past you in their BMW secretly wishing that they were in your shoes. Commuting is a way of life for me. I have done it ever since my first bike shop job at RRB cycles in Mundelein, IL when I was 16 years old. I used to ride my BMX bike to work (and it used to be further than my commute now!). I felt like I got something accomplished at the end of the day when I got home....and I still feel that now when I get home. I probably eat the same amount of food and am probably still a bit grumpy when I get out of bed...but when I get on my bike...I am instantly awake. The fresh air hits your lungs and the days light opens your eyes just to get you going....no coffee needed. I love this feeling and hope that I always will. In preparation for my races this year I think of my commuting as training. I remembered a great blog post I read years ago by Joe Meiser from Salsa Cycles on his philosophy found here. If you can....commute to work...even if you don't have a shower. Try it...you might like it.

- Jay, Slender Fungus

No comments:

Post a Comment